In my opinion, cycling with your family is amazing fun. It has been a challenge, however, to find cycling set-ups that were suitable for infants and babies under the age of 1. With Dexter, we used a car seat that mounted onto our cargo bike, and with Alice we strapped her car seat into a boxy trailer we borrowed from a friend.
When Dexter was an only child, we really loved using the Chariot trailer that some friends gave to us.
- Used it to get the library
- We would stuff blankets in it during winter
- Take it to see friends for lunch
- And used it with Alice, when we had copious amounts of cargo for the folk festival
- Here, I wrote about it as a guest post for Simply Bike
We also have a Madsen Cargo Bike, which has a bucket in the back that seats up to four kids.
- Here is Dexter at 6 months
- At two years old
- Grocery shopping
- And now with both kids together!
Another reader and Madsen family also biked with their baby.
- Of course, there are the other mounted options for biking with children.
- Somebody gave me this hand-me-down seat that I used for one summer.
- A friend of mine is in love with her Yepp.
- And I also inherited a most coveted Bobike Jr. which I am currently using when Dexter is solo
Over the winter, I had both kids in a double trailer. Baby Alice’s side had the infant sling installed on her side.